"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, February 22, 2008

It's Oscar® weekend. Does anyone care?
Posted by Jill | 10:22 AM
I remember when the Academy Awards were a really big deal, something I looked forward to, for all that much of the time I just ended up really aggravated, like the year the self-important Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture. Most of the broadcast is insufferable self-important claptrap about the Importance of the Art of Film To People's Lives, punctuated by the host poking fun at the very people who hired him. Once again Jon Stewart is hosting, and while I'm in the minority who thinks he did a decent job last time, it's not exactly an environment where he can let loose.

No, there's only one reason to watch the Academy Awards, and that's to DISH -- about the clothes, the Botox, the bad plastic surgery. And there's no better place to dish than at the Modern Fabulousity Oscar® Night Chat. I'll post a direct link on Sunday, but mark your calendar now.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Let's put it this way: My response to my wife's offer to join her at her friend's place to watch the Oscar show was, "I'd rather pour fuming nitric acid in my eyes."

Blogger dguzman said...
My sisters and mom and I used to watch the Oscars every year, yelling at the TV when Jessica Lange lost AGAIN to Meryl Streep or "I Just Called to Say I Love You" won best song from a movie over the only decent Phil Collins song evah "Against All Odds." I haven't watched for the last few years, however, and all I miss is the snark.

Blogger Unknown said...
I don't care in the slightest, except insofar as I don't know how to fill out my form for the office Oscars pool. I've never seen so few of the movies on this list before. If you can tell me whether any of them involve retarded people or the Holocaust, I'll check them and submit it with my $10.

Blogger adam k. said...
Dguzman: Jessica Lange definitely only lost ONCE to Meryl Streep (for Sophie's Choice) and actually won that same night in a different category. Meryl Streep really hasn't won that many oscars.

Sorry, I'm an oscar nut...

Blogger Jayhawk said...
The one year that I really enjoyed the night was when Braveheart won. I was happier than a puppy with two tails.

Blogger Distributorcap said...
i lost interest in the Oscars years ago, but the real nail in the proverbial script was when Julia Roberts for "Erin Brokovich" beat Ellen Burstyn in "Requiem..."

Burstyn's acting may be the second finest performance ever put on film (it is tough to beat Streep in Sophie's Choice)