"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, February 28, 2008

I wish Ann Richards were still here too, but this is ridiculous
Posted by Jill | 8:14 AM
Eric Wattree has found what is arguably the most preposterous campaign ad of the Democratic presidential race this year:





Look, I adored Ann Richards. I don't think there's a progressive woman in the country who didn't. She was loud, profane, impeccably groomed, spoke her mind, and was just plain all-around fabulous. It's no wonder Hillary Clinton would want a piece of that Richards magic.

But the idea that voting for Hillary Clinton is somehow "winning one for the Gipper", when said Gipper isn't even alive to make an endorsement, is just beyond the pale. And I'm not sure I'd want to highlight that faux-Southern thing Hillary does either. I mean, we've heard Hillary speak a lot lately. And she Just Does Not say "mah hay-er". A selective twang doesn't make you a Texan. I keep being reminded of that line Joan Cusack has in Working Girl: "Sometimes I dance around the house in my underwear. Don't make me Madonna. Never will." I wish Hillary would just figure out who she is and present us with that Hillary, rather than throwing an incoherent mess of campaign tactics up against the wall in a desperate attempt to try and find one that sticks and digging colorful characters who WERE authentic out of their graves to be posed with them like cardboard cutouts.

All I can say is, they'd just better not be planning to fuck with Molly. Of course Molly took care of this well before she left us.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments:
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...
http://mistrelboy.blogspot.com/2006/09/ann-richards-rip.html

a personal, musical memory of miss ann. she was too cool for most rooms.

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...
a personal musical memory of miss ann

done this time with proper html code. i'm needing more coffee now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Seriously?

wow.

that's creepy as hell.

The Obama campaign should respond with a "This one's for Molly" ad. ;) But wait, that would be creepy and tactless.

You think any of Richards' family approved that?

Blogger Unknown said...
All right, are y'all ready for my Ann Richards impersonation? Yeah? Okay, hang on... (ahem)... okay, here goes.

Par George! He caint hep it! He was barn with a sivver fut in his math!!!