"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, October 14, 2007

Icepick, meet forehead
Posted by Jill | 10:08 AM
Sometimes you run across something that's so brain-boggling absurd that it just leaves you speechless. If you want to know why I seem to be a bit uninspired lately, it's because I'm encountering Outrage Fatigue. Every day I get up at 5:30 AM, pour a cup of coffee, sit down at the computer, and see what fresh horrors life in the Bush years has wrought upon us while I slept.

If you want to see something that fully encapsulates why there are days when an icepick judiciously self-applied to my own forehead seems like Blessed Relief, here you go:

The Russian government under Vladimir Putin has amassed so much central authority that the power-grab may undermine Moscow's commitment to democracy, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Saturday.

"In any country, if you don't have countervailing institutions, the power of any one president is problematic for democratic development," Rice told reporters after meeting with human-rights activists.

"I think there is too much concentration of power in the Kremlin. I have told the Russians that. Everybody has doubts about the full independence of the judiciary. There are clearly questions about the independence of the electronic media and there are, I think, questions about the strength of the Duma," said Rice, referring to the Russian parliament.


I'm going back to bed.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share