"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Goodbye and Hello
Posted by Jill | 7:06 AM
Digby posted yesterday about the rash of bloggers who have recently decided to hang it up, including Billmon, Kevin Hayden at American Street, and now Michael Bérubé,, one of the few Alpha Dog Bloggers who has deigned to blogroll us.

I'm certainly no alpha dog; if Spocko is a "fifth-rate blogger", that puts me somewhere around the fourteenth tier. And B@B may not be one of those blogs on which you can find new content at any hour of the day or night, because I have this thing called a full-time job. Perhaps that's why I haven't burnt out on it; not the way I burnt out on reviewing movies just around the time I realized that no matter how underrated Unleashed was, and what a great silent film actor Jet Li is, and how it plays like a race-reversed Broken Blossoms, writing about movies just seemed kind of trivial at a time when the President of the United States was systematically wrecking not just the country, but the world.

That I only post in the morning may make this blog less interesting, but it also allows me to keep going, because I don't have to rely on it to pay the bills.

I'm sorry to see Billmon and Michael Bérubé go, because they represented some of the best and most insightful writing on the web this side of Digby and Driftglass. But as these doors close, other doors open, and with many more people starting blogs every day, I have to believe that other literate, insightful, passionate writers will take their place. I know that I'm always on the lookout for quality bloggers to add to the blogroll, and I hope that the loss that some of the "big boys and girls" feel at the "retirement" of some of these giants doesn't keep them from seeking those new at this crazy game, with fresh perspectives, to replace them.
Bookmark and Share