"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, November 10, 2006

The Movie Meme
Posted by Jill | 6:27 AM
Since ModFab has tagged me, it's time, now that the election is over, to dip a toe back into the waters in which I dwelt for seven years:

1. Popcorn or candy?
If I go alone, nothing. If I go with Mr. B@B, a taste of what he's eating. Because if it's someone else's, it has no calories.

2. Name a movie you've been meaning to see forever.
Casablanca. My eternal shame is that I reviewed movies for seven years and have never seen it all the way through.

3. You are given the power to recall one Oscar: Who loses theirs and to whom?
No contest: Helen Hunt loses hers for As Good as it Gets and it goes to Kate Winslet for Titanic. As someone who was swept away by that film and now wonder how on earth I sat through four hours of James Cameron's clunky dialogue, I know that only an actress of Winslet's caliber could have pulled it off. Besides, she deserves to win one already.

4. Steal one costume from a movie for your wardrobe. Which will it be?
Anything from the party scene in The Cat's Meow. Or The Great Gatsby, for that matter.

5. Your favorite film franchise is...
Not much of a film franchise person, myself, but I'd have to say the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

6. Invite five movie people over for dinner. Who are they? Why'd you invite them? What do you feed them?
Like ModFab, I'm assiming they have to be alive. So I would invite George Clooney for wit and intelligent conversation, Kate Winslet because she's Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson because she's one of the few movie people who comes across like someone you'd actually want to know, Josh Lucas just so I could look at his eyes for a few hours, and Patricia Clarkson because I didn't want to say goodbye to her at the end of The Station Agent. I'd make up a batch of my award-winning chili and a big green salad, and an assortment of homemade cookies served with coffee lightened with Sangster's Rum Cream.

7. What is the appropriate punishment for people who answer cell phones in the movie theater?
A Tec-9 is always appropriate in these circumstances.

8. Choose a female bodyguard: Ripley from Aliens. Mystique from X-Men. Sarah Connor from Terminator 2. The Bride from Kill Bill. Mace from Strange Days.
Sarah Connor. Because my sister once said I look like Linda Hamilton, and it would be cool getting saved by my own mirror image.

9. What's the scariest thing you've ever seen in a movie?
I'm not much of one for scary movies....but the most scared I've ever been in a movie is -- don't laugh -- Poltergeist. I didn't watch TV for a week after seeing it.

10. Your favorite genre (excluding comedy and drama) is?
Chopsocky. Ever since Mr. Brilliant took up Shaolin kung-fu, I've become enamored of Hong Kong cinema.

11. You are given the power to greenlight movies at a major studio for one year. How do you wield this power?
I look for intelligent, talky scripts with characters who seem like people you know -- or want to know -- and cast wonderfully natural actors in them.

12. Bonnie or Clyde?
Tough one. Bonnie had better clothes, but Faye Dunaway is one cold fish. I'll go with Clyde.

13: Who are you tagging to answer this survey: Lynn, Tami, Jay, Spiidey, Rix, Bitty, and Maya's Granny.
Bookmark and Share