"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, November 23, 2005

More proof that they really DO want an evangelical Christian theocracy
Posted by Jill | 11:42 AM

Via a Kos diarist comes this hateful Republican screed attacking Sen. Kent Conrad's religion (he is a Unitarian Universalist).

Here's the twisted logic:

Certainly, I believe that everyone is free to live how they want to and I do not think that Universalist Unitarians are going to burn in hell or anything crazy like that, but I definitely think that this religion is way out of the mainstream of America. Senator Conrad's religious afiliation is out of the mainstream.


So who is anyone to decide that Sen. Conrad's religious affiliation is out of the mainstream, and that he should be judged accordingly? Evangelical Christians hate it when people judge THEIR faith as invalid, or dangerous, because it's out of the mainstream, but they reserve the right to do it to others.

It's the "one true way"-ism of these people that I find most galling. I understand that conversion, forced if necessary, is part of Christianity, which is one of the reasons I think it is one of the most dangerous religious traditions to mix with statehood. But who the hell decides what's mainstream and what isn't?
Bookmark and Share