"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, September 04, 2005

We don't need these people, we don't want these people
Posted by Jill | 5:15 PM

For a long time now, I've made references to the "A.N.S.W.E.R. Left" as the main stumbling block in building a credible progressive coalition. Groups like A.N.S.W.E.R. are the Christofascist Zombie Brigade of the left -- progressive utopians with no sense of humor (TM Marc Maron) whose views may be heartfelt, but don't have any real relevance to the world as it exists.

These are the "sweeping generalizations" folks you've seen at the anti-war marches; the ones with the signs reading "End racism and sexism" and "Free Mumia Abu-Jamal".

Not everyone on the left sees the world in black and white. Some of us recognize that the Palestinians are NOT just hapless saints being persecuted by a Nazi-like Jewish government in Israel. As with every dysfunctional relationship, both sides in that particular battle have mud on their faces. And will someone please tell me what A.N.S.W.E.R. and groups like it have accomplished for the victims of racism they claim to represent? If sweeping exhortations to "End Racism" were so effective, then would someone please explain to me what happened in New Orleans this week?

It's not that I disagree with the broader concepts represented by groups like A.N.S.W.E.R., I just think that they're simplistic, they lack focus, and often invest too much capital in the wrong causes. Whatever you think of Mumia Abu-Jamal, let's face it: his fate doesn't belong in the discussion that is a march against the Irq War.

I refuse to participate in any activities they sponsor, and it's starting to look like they may be involved in the huge September 24 march.

I won't be there; Mr. Brilliant and I will be on vacation, leaving occupancy of our home and care of our cats in the very capable hands of an excellent housesitter. But there are others, like John Aravosis, who question what's going on as well:

I've heard Cindy Sheehan is involved, but then again, I read posters in DC last night that made this thing sound like the "everything but the kitchen sink" coalition was running it. The poster, from A.N.S.W.E.R., said the protest was about ending US colonialism, or some such crap, in Haiti, Palestine, Cuba and beyond.

I for one will have nothing to do with a protest that is devoted to that kind of wingnut crap. I sincerely hope that ANSWER has nothing to do with the Sheehan protest, because if it does, I'm going to recommend folks don't go. Haiti? Are these people nuts?

So, anyone got the scoop on this? Is ANSWER just trying to hijack this thing or is this protest devoted to all these ridiculous causes?


Note to A.N.S.W.E.R. Your tactics and causes have NEVER resonated. And they never will. There are plenty of focused progressives out there. Let them do their job.
Bookmark and Share