"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, September 09, 2005

Frank Murkowski will probably say this kind of handout is OK
Posted by Jill | 2:09 PM

Frank Murkowski, as you recall, is the Senate Republican who opposes giving the FEMA $2000 debit cards to Hurricane Katrina survivors, on the grounds that it's hard to distinguish the "truly needy" from those who just want a handout.

Somehow I don't think Murkowski will worry about such distinctions when it comes to YET ANOTHER airline bailout:

With jet fuel prices soaring in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, U.S. airlines have asked Congress and the White House for $600 million in tax relief.

Commercial airlines, which have been battered, and in some cases bankrupted, by high energy costs are seeking a one-year reprieve from the 4.3-cents-per-gallon federal tax on jet fuel.

“We’ve discussed it with the Department of Transportation and folks on the Hill,” said Jack Evans, a spokesman for the Air Transport Association, a Washington-based trade group. “I think, so far, people have been receptive.”


Of course the weapon the airlines will probably use will be yet more defaults on their pension plans...

If my costs go up because of high fuel prices, I don't see the government giving ME a handout; I just make do with less. I cut back on something else. Perhaps airlines could cut back on executive compensation.

Naah. Not in Bushworld.
Bookmark and Share