"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, August 05, 2004

BRUUUUUUUUUUCE!!
Posted by Jill | 9:43 AM
I've never been a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, for all that I've lived most of my life in New Jersey. Oh, he's a good songwriter and does a really great live show, but I've never had that sense of "yeah, baby, I'm home" about his music the way I did the first time I heard the Dave Matthews Band. But there's no denying the man's ability to tune into the Zen of American life.

But still, who knew he was such a damn fine op-ed columnist:

It is through the truthful exercising of the best of human qualities - respect for others, honesty about ourselves, faith in our ideals - that we come to life in God's eyes. It is how our soul, as a nation and as individuals, is revealed. Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.


Now I'll step back and wait for the inevitable Republican response, jeering Springsteen for thinking that as a preposterously wealthy member of the =tokke= ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY, he can possibly relate to the struggles of working people the way oil industry fuckups George W. Bush and Dick Cheney can.



Bookmark and Share