"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Movie Break: Great Scenes from Dumbass Movies Edition
Posted by Jill | 9:42 PM
Even though my friends and I were a little old for them, there was a period in the 1980's when we took in all that era's high school movies. Is there anything that screams "1980's" more than the John Hughes movies, plus Say Anything, and of course Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

When you don't have children, you don't really have a barometer for the passage of time, so if most of your friends are childfree and your only sibling is also, it's easy to kid yourself for a long time that you aren't getting older.

My most recent smack in the face occurred when I read recently about Molly Ringwald playing the MOTHER of a pregnant teenager in an upcoming TV movie. I can deal with James Spader having morphed from a creepily pretty young man into the prissy, pursed-lips Church Lady clone that is his Alan Shore character on Boston Legal. I can deal with John Cusack being a passionate activist whose eye-crinkles are now crow's feet. I can even deal with the trip into bizarro world that is Two And a Half Men reruns that precede Family Guy every night on the CW.

But Molly Ringwald as the mother of a teenager? That, my perpetually adolescent friends, is a true hot kiss at the end of the west fist of reality.

Last night I was flipping channels and came across the last ten minutes of one of the worst of that particular genre, Pretty in Pink. I should have loved this movie when it came out; after all, it had a geeky heroine like I was, who instead of hiding under a poncho like I did in high school, managed to create her own style. It may have been a ghastly style, but it was a style. And we were supposed to believe that both of the pretty rich boys in town wanted her but caved to social pressure -- from each other, no less. The two boys were the aforementioned James Spader at his absolute creepiest and the rabbity Andrew McCarthy, while the Molly Ringwald character's TRUE soulmate; the one that there's no way she'd be able to appreciate until she's 40, is the quirky Duckie, played by Jon Cryer.

We all knew guys like this in high school -- ferociously smart, funny, talented guys so full of their own zany energy and able to cover up their self-loathing with a quirky wit. And they never, ever get the girl; not until they grow into their faces and the girls stop longing for the chiseled jock with the hot car. I was thirty-one when I saw Pretty in Pink, and I really, really wanted Andie to realize at the end just how freaking cool Duckie was:





Of course, at the age of 31, it was the Annie Potts character that I wanted to BE.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger Fran said...
I so totally freaking love this post and based on experience might have written it, but your skills surpass anything I might have thought to said.

Brilliant indeed!
(I wanted to be the Annie Potts character too. I was also a wee bit past the age for these films, but that was a detail not worth noting at the time!)

Blogger J said...
We saw a film awhile ago in which Luke Perry played the father of two teens. Luke Perry, ala' teen heartthrob of 90s hit tv show, 90210.

Wow, did THAT make me feel old.

Blogger dguzman said...
Oh my god. I'm old. When Claire from Breakfast Club is playing moms on TV, it's all over. Bring out the black balloons, folks. 43 is the new 80.