"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, July 09, 2008

These people are absolutely fucking useless
Posted by Jill | 10:56 PM
That's it, I'm going to bed:


NEW YORK (Reuters) - A top U.S. Democratic senator said in a newspaper interview published Wednesday that he would consider supporting opening up new areas for offshore oil and gas drilling.

"I'm open to drilling and responsible production," Senate Majority Whip Richard Durbin told The Wall Street Journal, adding that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid could also support the move.


And somehow I'll get up tomorrow, go to work, and get ready to put a little more money down the empty hole that is my Supplemental Retirement Plan -- money that will be eaten up again by the financial markets as if I never had it at all.

And then a decade and a half from now, after President McCain, who says that Social Security is "a disgrace", has succeeded in dismantling the program because a bunch of craven Democrats decided that they just couldn't buck the "I Was a POW" meme, and I'm living in the street because I did everything the way you're supposed to and ended up with nothing because everything I put into retirement plans was lost, whoever the Rush Limbaugh is of that day will tell me it's my own fault.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I can sympathize with your frustrations, but none of us own ourselves unless we choose to. If you buy into their system in any way you have no one to blame but yourself. We need a revolution and at my age and with my disabilities I stand up to be the first to join such a necessity. On another note: I find blogging or any form of writing using impolite words to be sophomoric and believe they will advance your cause far less. I notice while reading the original documents of this nation that no such words were used or found...

There's another blogger, who for a Texan. writes very well, but I get turned off by his nonacademic use of similar language. (He would be the Existentialist Cowboy.)

I post a lot of articles on reddit and have a great deal of difficulty posting that which shows poor judgment and choice of words. Perhaps I expect too much of those around me who appear to be academically adept, but lack writing skills worthy of print... regards...j

Blogger Fran said...
What dumb fucks.

I guess that the first commenter has a point about sophmoric, but I am just to angry to say much else.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
These people are not only useless -- they're ignorant.

Check out this post - especially the link in it to a recent article on the US potential for geothermal energy:

$250 A Barrel Oil By Next Year

As I said in this post, we need to suck up to Iceland pronto, for their help in getting all that potential geothermal energy on line pdq.

But of course, our Congresslizards don't do anything pdq. Since I wrote the above, I read a news story that said Congress has just authorized a two-year-long study of the potential for geothermal energy in the US -- despite the fact that that's exactly what the scientists in the article on geothermal potential have already done.

Also in the mean time, T Boone Pickens just initiated a major PR campaign for wind energy. Of course, OPEC is now saying, if we implement all these alternative energy projects, they'll have to 're-evaluate' the $500+ billion they'd planned to spend to increase oil production and refining.

Other, more recent, news articles are saying we can expect $500 a barrel oil within 3 to 4 years.

>> ...somehow I'll get up tomorrow, go to work, and get ready to put a little more money down the empty hole that is my Supplemental Retirement Plan -- money that will be eaten up again by the financial markets as if I never had it at all.

Since you have to earn $2 to replace every $1 you spend (taking into account all taxes, as well as SS deductions), we'd best all become overnight ascetics. Deciding now to cut our expenses to the bone may well be the only thing that can save most of us from having to take 'early retirement' in a cardboard box on the street.

You might want to read one of Kevin Phillips' older books - The Politics of Rich and Poor - in which he clearly (and rather relentlessly) explains how the Republicans have historically gotten us into a whopper of a financial crisis every 50 years or so, throughout US history.

Why every 50 years? They have to wait until everyone who endured their last economic crisis has died, before they can once again dupe the public into electing them.

There are two big reasons we haven't had a depression since the Great Depression: lifespans lengthened considerably, and, since this crisis was intended to be global rather than national, it's taken them longer than usual to set it up, i.e. to systematically dismantle various regulations and safety nets, and institute various pervasive and insidious means of propaganda.

Kat
Newshoggers' Researcher