"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, January 17, 2010

I don't even know what to say about this
Posted by Jill | 9:38 AM




But Blue Girl does:
First of all, I have never, ever responded to anything along the scope of the devastation that is being dealt with in Haiti right now. But that is the sort of thing that I trained for and re-trained for every single year for my entire career, and I know what is supposed to be happening by now, and I am not seeing it - but I am also seeing a lot of hurdles to mounting an effective response. That said, seeing doctors walk away from a field hospital because the U.N. got skittish about the security situation makes my blood boil. That is an order you refuse. Period. You are there to help people in need and you knew the risks when you volunteered. You don't scurry back inside the wire because the situation is tense on the ground, for Christ's sake, like so many cockroaches when the light comes on. Christ. It's embarrassing is what it is. I am so furious at the humiliation right now that my ears are red.


Note: These are NOT physicians from Doctors Without Borders, which is currently operating 5 hospital facilities.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
8 Comments:
Anonymous tata said...
Speechless.

Did they come back yet? CNN seems to be saying the Belgians and Canadians left Friday night and they're coming back today. I think. I hope I'm misunderstanding this.

Anonymous tata said...
I did misunderstand. CNN:

He said it was a "tough decision" but that he accepted the U.N. offer to evacuate after a Canadian medical team, also at the hospital with Canadian security officers, left the site Friday afternoon. The Belgian team returned Saturday morning.

Blogger rjs said...
heres a al jazeera video; we are obviously making our presence felt...

Anonymous tsisageya (invisible) said...
When I saw that the U.S took command of the airport I was very upset. TF is this? Then, I realized that, perhaps, it was a good, and a needed, thing. No, I don't have a high regard for the United States in such an instance.

Security? SECURITY? (Calm down, calm down, me.)

Calm down, me. I'm confused and upset over this.

Blogger rjs said...
in case you missed this: Right Testicle from Hell - History of a Haitian Holocaust (blackwater before drinking water)

Blogger rjs said...
here's something else youll find difficult to have words for: an article in the guardian (UK)- Cruise ships still find a Haitian berth - Luxury liners are still docking at private beaches near Haiti's devastated earthquake zone for holidaymakers to enjoy the water...

Blogger jurassicpork said...
Damn, I never knew Blue Girl was even there. I actually wish I was there helping her help the victims.

No, no, JP, I am not there. I am in KC. But I know where my ruck and my boots are. If I got the call from an aid organization I would, tho.