"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More from Cologne - Tuesday morning
Posted by Jill | 12:45 AM

hauptbahnhof
Originally uploaded by brilliant at breakfast
No photos yesterday, worked all day. Cologne is full of American backpackers, presumably college kids escaping to this city of endless beer and pastry. Last night I had dinner with a colleague at an excellent Thai restaurant and walked down by the Rhine, where every storefront is a bar or a beer garden and American college kids in need of extra cash sing bad American pop songs on out-of-tune guitars. The most interesting part of Cologne, aside from the Dom, is the fact that his is a city that was completely demolished during WWII, but has been reconstructed to look like an old city.

Aside from the fact that I clearly need to learn some German beyond "Akscepten Sie Mastercard?" and "Geben Sie Mir bitte eine Quittung", I'm getting around OK. Today I'm taking the train to work here in this country where they run on time and supposedly stuff like this doesn't happen. I'll be leaving from the Hauptbahnhof on the 8:37 train. Let's see if I get where I'm going.
Bookmark and Share