"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Can we please have no more projection about racism from racist Republicans?
Posted by Jill | 6:47 AM
Another disgusting display, coming on the heels of an adviser to the South Carolina Attorney General referring to an escaped gorilla as "an ancestor of Michelle Obama":

Over the weekend, a GOP official in South Carolina posted a comment to Facebook comparing Michelle Obama to an escaped gorilla. Now, in a second instance of Republicans playing the race card against the Obamas, Wonkette notes that a racist e-mail was sent out by a legislative staffer for Tennessee GOP state senator Diane Black. The staffer, Sherri Goforth, e-mailed this composite picture of the country’s 44 presidents, which represents President Obama with only a set of eyes:



44presidents1


Nashville Is Talking asked Goforth about the e-mail:


When I asked her if she understood the controversial nature of the photo, Goforth would only say she felt very bad about accidentally sending it to the wrong list. When I gave her a second chance to address the controversial nature of the email, she again repeated that she only felt bad about sending it to the wrong list of people.


“I went on the wrong email and I inadvertently hit the wrong button,” Goforth told NIT. “I’m very sick about it, and it’s one of those things I can’t change or take back.”


Oh. So she was going to send it to the e-mail list of her buddies who think this sort of thing is funny. And worse, she thinks that excuses it.

I don't want to hear one more word about Sonia Sotomayor being a racist, or Barack Obama being a racist, or any of this crap from the right. The Republicans are the ones portraying the President and his wife as gorillas and chimpanzees and monkeys and minstrelsy. Any umbrage they express because other groups have the temerity to think that everyone is entitled to a piece of the American pie is filtered through their own racism. Because yes, they are racist. Any questions?

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
5 Comments:
Blogger Steve said...
What! She missed the golden opportunity to put a blue dress in Clinton's spot?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
...I just have no words...

Blogger Unknown said...
Looks like it was cut and pasted from Steve Gilliard's depiction of Michael Steele.

Blogger Jill said...
Way to bash the dead, Barry. I don't know if you knew this, but Steve Gilliard was black. As far as I'm concerned, his depiction of Michael Steele falls under the "It's OK to knock your own team" rule.

But you go ahead and keep believing that the party of Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich and the guy in South Carolina who called a gorilla one of Michelle Obama's ancestors isn't racist. And don't give me north/south crap, either. Racism isn't about geography, it's about willful stupidity, venality, and just plain meanness.

I know where I fall. Which side are YOU on?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Back in 2000 I was invited to Mr. McMaster’s house after serving as a page for SC’s GOP convention. McMaster had just been reelected Chairman and he gathered all of the party’s big wigs to celebrate. At the time I was only 15 years old but, drunkenly Henry slipped up and said the “N” word not once but, twice that night… each time I was absolutely shocked and couldn’t believe that an educated man in power still had such archaic thoughts let alone an idiot’s vocabulary. But after the 2nd time my father wasn’t going to wait for a third- we promptly left.


-White Shoes