"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, February 27, 2009

When your governor takes it, it's pork. When Bobby Jindal takes it, it's a necessary program
Posted by Jill | 5:04 AM
And when Bobby Jindal opens his mouth, hypocritical horseshit comes out:
The morning after listening to Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's rebuttal speech, where he railed against a stimulus package "larded with wasteful spending," to the president's state of the nation address, I walked into the office and sent out a Tweet:

"Did anyone else think Gov. Bobby Jindal sounded like a cross between Mr. Rogers and a used car salesman in his rebuttal to Obama's speech?"

The more I learn about this new Republican savior, the more he sounds like a used car salesman.

It was no surprise when Jindal went off on the supposed earmarks in the stimulus package. Many have written about the lies that Jindal repeated about supposed stimulus pork, which ran the gamut all the way from miserly mice to voracious volcanoes. But it turns out he was being disingenuous and hypocritical at the same time.

In fiscal year 2008, his last hurrah as a U.S. congressman representing Louisiana before taking over the governor's mansion, Jindal scored big in the pork contest. He, sometimes in concert with other lawmakers, ended up bringing home $97,913,200 in bacon. That put him at the number 14 spot in Taxpayers for Common Sense's annual tally of the most successful appropriators in the House.

Steve Ellis, vice president of Taxpayers for Common Sense, told me that Jindal has every right to change his mind about earmarks now, but "facts are facts."

"He definitely did well... in the House," said Ellis. "Clearly he was not concerned about the earmark process, or not concerned enough to say 'no' at that point."

Ellis also pointed out that Jindal's place on the list is more significant than some others.

"There's only one other lawmaker that's ahead of him that wasn't on the appropriations committee," Ellis said.

That didn't seem to be weighing on Jindal during his prime-time speech.



Hypocrisy seems to be the name of the game among the so-called rising stars in the Republican Party. From Sarah Palin's family values/unwed pregnant teenager dichotomy and her own lies about the "bridge to nowhere" to Bobby Jindal's love of earmarks for his own state, these prospective 2012 candidates are only arguably good at talking the talk, but they sure as hell don't walk the walk.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share
4 Comments:
Blogger merlallen said...
I have never known my wife to watch a political speech. Hell, I thought she was a Repug like her dad up until the election.
Anyway, she watched BOTH speeches in their entirety. When I got up to go to my graveyard shift that night I asked her if she caught the President's speech. She said she watched both. And laughed her ass off at Piyush. She asked me "what the fuck was that"? And then mocked him for the rest of the night. I'm starting to like her more every day. hahaha
I have cousins in LA, I told her that they said he was the best of a bad bunch. She said, 'well that explains a lot.

Blogger merlallen said...
do you read your comments? I always wonder about that stuff. I have a boring job and wonder about a lot of stupid shit.

Blogger Bob said...
A lot can happen in Louisiana politics between now & 2012. It is a peculiar state.

Blogger merlallen said...
yes it is. they prefer corrupt governors i think that's another reason i'm surprised he got elected. he doesn't seem corrupt, and I doubt he is.