"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Everybody wants a piece of Obamamania
Posted by Jill | 6:00 AM
I'm not sure it's an accident that the new Pepsi logo is strongly evocative of the Obama campaign logo. And now, in what would otherwise be a Super Bowl ad, Pepsi has, in one of the best TV spots I've seen in a long time, linked its long history to the theme of "generations" -- just in time for the inauguration:




I just love this ad. It's fantastic on so many levels, few of them having to do with promoting a cola drink. I love its theme of continuity; the way it points out that every generation is a product of its time, and the way it recognizes that generations who are old now, or whom are long dead, had their time in the sun, and the opportunity to have an impact on the world. Of course they conveniently left out the 1930's, and PepsiCo wants to show that all of them drank Pepsi, but there's a kind of profundity in this fun minute of advertising that we rarely see in product promotion these days.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share