"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, December 08, 2008

A few words about comment spam
Posted by Jill | 4:48 AM
Every couple of months, we seem to get a rash of comment spammers. I restored the post word feature in an attempt to reduce this sort of thing, but it seems to have limited effect. I've never written before about my comment spam policy, so here it is:

ALL COMMENT SPAM WILL BE DELETED.

Sometimes comment spam is easy to identify, such as the World of Warcraft one with every third word linked to some other site. I also assume that anything posted in Asian characters is spam, because these usually arrive in bunches of a half-dozen or more, all within a few minutes of each other, many of them on older posts. Lately they've been disguised as "I just discovered your blog, I really don't have anything to say but just wanted to post a comment" -- followed by a link to another site.

Forget it, dude. I didn't fall off a haytruck yesterday, and I know comment spam when I see it.

Linking to relevant posts in your or someone else's blog is perfectly OK. Linking to your positive affirmation tape business is not. If you want to advertise, buy a blog ad. The link is in the left-hand sidebar.

I don't want to start having to moderate comments. It interferes with dialogue and since I am offline for about 11 hours a day, I don't really have time. So for now we'll stick to the current structure. But if you're a comment spammer, be advised: spam this blog, and you WILL be deleted. And spare me your free speech arguments. You have a right to disagree with me on this blog, and dissenting comments will be kept unless they are threatening to me or to others. You do not have a right to free advertising any more than you have a right to squat in my house.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger Bob said...
Do you always get up this early?

Blogger D. said...
Good for you, Jill!

(I am hard to get to. So far. But if spam becomes a problem, I will yank it without mercy. I don't wear obviously logoed clothes unless they're paying me a lot to do that, either.)

Blogger Lockwood said...
Well put, Jill. I've just started seeing some of this myself, and pondering what to do about it. For the time being, I'm just ignoring spam and hoping it goes away. But I have noticed many people have an explicit comment policy, and I'm beginning to see why.

Hee Hee, my verification word is "taterma." Not sure if that's a request or a description.