"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, August 28, 2008

John McCain = 4 more years of secretive, unaccountable government
Posted by Jill | 1:52 PM
It's somewhat surprising that with even many people who should be on his side leery of John McCain's anger management problem, Johnny McCranky should allow the dark side of his personality out to a publication that's historically been friendly to him.

From a TIME interview with James Carney and Michael Scherer:

I wonder if you could define honor for us?
Read it in my books.

I've read your books.
No, I'm not going to define it.

But honor in politics?
I defined it in five books. Read my books.

[Your] campaign today is more disciplined, more traditional, more aggressive. From your point of view, why the change?
I will do as much as we possibly can do to provide as much access to the press as possible.

But beyond the press, sir, just in terms of ...
I think we're running a fine campaign, and this is where we are.

Do you miss the old way of doing it?
I don't know what you're talking about.

Really? Come on, Senator.
I'll provide as much access as possible ...

In 2000, after the primaries, you went back to South Carolina to talk about what you felt was a mistake you had made on the Confederate flag. Is there anything so far about this campaign that you wish you could take back or you might revisit when it's over?
[Does not answer.]

Do I know you? [Says with a laugh.]
[Long pause.] I'm very happy with the way our campaign has been conducted, and I am very pleased and humbled to have the nomination of the Republican Party.


So...is he senile and simply parroting back talking points given him by Karl Rove? Is he being unnecessarily testy and combative, or is this part of what we've seen in George W. Bush for the last eight years -- a man who feels entitled to the office, who feels he doesn't have to answer to anybody, a man who refuses to answer questions?

At the Democratic National Convention this week, we've heard a lot of how John McCain means more of the same failed policies. But it's more than that. It's four more years of the same arrogant, secretive, unaccountable view of the executive branch.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share
5 Comments:
Blogger Nora said...
Yeah, that entitlement thing jumped out at me when I read that interview, too. It's especially jarring when the interviewer is obviously trying to buddy up to him, let him show his human side.

I'm just surprised he didn't answer every question with a reference to his having been a POW thirty years ago.

Blogger Taradharma said...
I saw this same interview on line and I'm blown away. How in the world does he think these are acceptable answers for the presidential candidate? If this is how he is now, he'll surely be this way as president. He's supposed to be 'courting' voters now, for crying out loud!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What was printed on Time's website is but excerpt of a much longer interview. The whole thing is available to listen to at Time's website. You really must listen to the entire interview to appreciate the full impact of McCain's flat affect and the dull robotic quality to the repetitive answers. Many questions were left out of the print version, and others were changed.

His answer regarding the situation in Iraq was the following hair raiser: "Iraq is a peaceful and stable country now."

Having listened to it, it's even more disturbing to know that the press is only now beginning to discuss McCain's obvious problems.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
HOLY ****!!!

I would like to apologize to the world. I swear, with [insert diety] as my witness, when I read this earlier today I thought it was a spoof. I thought someone was being quite clever and Mr. McCain couldn't possibly be that ridiculous in an interview with a major publication.

I really shouldn't underestimate people like this. I hope that everyone actually considering voting for this guy reads this interview and reconsiders. For that matter, I would like Mr. Obama to stand up tonight, hold this magazine in his hand, and say "I'd like to read you a little something!"

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Scary! Is he in that crabby dementia place, or is he just a total asshole?