"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, May 11, 2008

Random thoughts
Posted by Jill | 7:30 AM
I was watching Sunset Boulevard yesterday morning and realized I'm older than Norma Desmond.

You know what can really make you feel like a schmuck? Canvassing when you're running for an office (in my case, it's county Democratic committee on a renegade ticket seeking to through the hacks and the pay-to-play goons out), and approaching someone and asking by name for the person in the house that your walk list says is a Democrat -- and finding out that she died last summer. Related: I really, really hate campaigning. I may be cut out for officeholding, but the door-to-door stuff is something I'd just as soon not do.

I have a sense that the Clintons feel they will somehow cease to exist if they don't win this nomination. Nothing else explains this level of tenacity. Related point: Why is Ellen Malcolm of Emily's List playing the "Hillary is a victim" card? Victimization is not empowerment. See also: framing oneself solely in terms of having survived a sexual assault as being somehow feminist. Again: Victimization is not empowerment. It doesn't mean what happened to you isn't terrible, but defining yourself that way is not female empowerment.

I wonder if it's really true that Oliver, who departed for the Great Beyond on December 10, 2000, came back in the form of Mr. Darcy and is now living with my sister.



Oliver, around 1992, in his audition to be the first "I Can Has Cheezburger" cat. Alas, he didn't make the final cut.


Mr. Darcy, May 2008. He doesn't seem to be in any particular need for cheezburger


If so, I'm glad he stayed in the family. (:-D)

The price of gasoline has already affected how we do things. Last week I didn't go see Iron Man with Mr. Brilliant because he went right from doing some things at work and it didn't make sense to take two cars to Nyack. Tonight we went to dinner at the funky but excellent Jack's Café instead of getting Chinese food from Lotus Café (the best Chinese restaurant in the county) just because it's close to home.

You know you're getting old when the news that one of your favorite restaurants is up for sale throws you for a loop.

With oil prices putting our annual Jamaica vacation, what should we do instead?

Today is Mother's Day. When do we get to celebrate Thank You For Not Inflicting Children With Your Neuroses On The World Day?

Now that Tweety has dyed his hair red, He Who Must Not Be Mentioned thinks we should now call him "Gossamer" instead of "Tweety." Am I a sellout because I think that's funny?
Bookmark and Share
2 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
I have a sense that the Clintons feel they will somehow cease to exist if they don't win this nomination.

I think you made a brilliant observation about the Clintons.

Blogger Jayhawk said...
Brilliant observations is what BaB does, duh. But this one is one of her more astute ones, isn't it. The Clintons will cease to exist if she loses, because they define themselves in terms of political power.

I like the one about victimization, too. I have Parkinson's, but that is not who I am, or even part of who I am. It's merely something that is happening to my body and, for the most part right now, happening in the future. I live in today. Life is good.