"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, December 20, 2007

Let’s drink to the hard working people
Posted by Jill | 7:15 AM
I think every blogger's dream is to be able to blog full-time, without having to worry about things like a paycheck and health insurance. As the trend moves away from the individual or small group blogger and towards the group blog concept, the "lite" version of that dream is to be asked to participate in a group blog. These group blogs blow the rest of us away in terms of content, but I think we're losing something as distinctive blog voices become absorbed in group blogs, some of which have become businesses in their own right.

It's hard to crank out material day after day without any reward other than readership. I'm lucky in that I at least for now have a good full-time job that's close to home and leaves me a few hours in the day to read up on what's going on and to write. I'd love to write more, but if the price of writing full-time is the gnawing fear that comes with being unemployed, I say, "No, thanks."

But some of the best blog writers out there are still flying solo, or with part-time co-pilots, and the most prominent of those is Digby.

Digby may hobnob with the Big Folks, but Hullabaloo is still a throwback to the days when everyone was a solo flier. And unlike many blogs, even this one, every post at Hullabaloo is a tightly-constructed essay in its own right.

Many of us are tucking twenties into holiday cards this year for the newspaper carrier and the hairdresser and the kids' day care attendants and the trash collectors and the various other people we want to remember. If you read Digby, I hope you'll consider showing your appreciation while you're doing your holiday tips. Because just because some bloggers can do it full time while we spend the day in a cubicle or office doesn't mean we shouldn't support them.

(If Driftglass had a tip jar, I'd link to that too and tell you to show him some love as well. But alas, he doesn't.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
1 Comments:
Blogger driftglass said...
What a sweet thing for you to say.
Thank you :-)