"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, November 04, 2007

Pimp My Home Entertainment
Posted by Jill | 3:29 PM
Mr. Brilliant and I have decided that in an effort to Do Our Part to keep our nation's economy humming, we are going to succumb to the siren song of flat-screen, high-definition television. After all, we haven't purchased a television since around 1986, for all that we have three sets. One of them isn't used and was given to us by a friend who was moving, the other is Mr. Brilliant's father's old bigass RCA ProScan, and the third is the aforementioned 1986 purchase.

Now I have this peculiar quirk to my personality. I can change electrical outlets; install a Fluidmaster in a toilet, paint, and reface kitchen cabinets. But when it comes to electronics, I get so anxious that I have to leave the house. It doesn't matter what the electronics project is -- wireless networking, hooking up a DVD player, or installing a satellite dish. If it's electronics, just call me when it's over.

As a result, all this gobbledygook that accompanies specs for flat panel HDTV is giving me a headache and raising my blood pressure. So I'm going to open the floor to you, faithful readers, to suggest, based on your experience, a good one to buy. We've pretty much narrowed it down to a 36" or 42" LCD, because our living room is your standard 15-1/2 feet square 1950's POS cape living room, so a theatre-sized plasma set is ridiculous. We also don't want to spend more than $1500 tops; with a $1200 range preferable (because then we have to deal with having additional cable run, a new Dish Network receiver, and deciding whether to keep all three receivers or run the basement family room set off the living room HD receiver, if such a thing is possible).

So have at it, O Brilliant ones. What's your recommendation?

Labels:

Bookmark and Share