"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, September 13, 2007

Loving The Alien

Ane Brun's bio states that the gifted singer/songwriter was allegedly born in Norway, but I don't believe it. Ane came from someplace else. I bet if you open her closet door, there are pods inside.

Ane's voice is eerie, haunting, and unearthly. It's an alien instrument that chills you, enraptures you, and compels you to pay attention. The late Sandy Denny owned this type of voice, as did Nick Drake and Tim Buckley. Early in their careers, Sinead O'Connor did (before she lost her mind) as did Joni Mitchell (before the cigarettes took it away). Listen to those precious LPs your granddad has of jazz vocalist Jimmy Scott to understand what I'm talking about. Think of Björk, Patti Smith, and Diamanda Galás. Hailing frequencies open, Captain.

On Ane's wonderful CD A Temporary Dive, my favorite song is "Laid In Earth", an ominous, heartbreaking yet beautiful elegy of loss. It isn't just another "My lover is dead and I'm sad, boo hoo" song, oh no. It achieves the tragic majesty of Sinead O'Connor's "I Am Stretched On Your Grave" or the great Judy Collins song "Pretty Polly". Yes, it's scary, but in a good way.

Ane Brun is a journey worth taking. Welcome aboard. The starship is right over here.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share