"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Lame Duck Wabbit Lame Duck
Posted by Jill | 7:27 PM
One of the ways I knew that Mr. Brilliant was the right guy for me was that like me, he was a fan of Warner Bros. cartoons. Now, I know that among Warner Bros. geeks, the pinnacle of cartoons is What's Opera Doc. And of course if you're a REAL Warner Bros. geek, you used to go to Leonard Maltin's History of Animation class at the New School, or the old cartoon nights at the Thalia, where you were treated to this little piece of now-forbidden fruit.

But for my money, the best Warner Bros. cartoons ever made are the infamous Wabbit Season trilogy, starting with Rabbit Fire, and escalating through Rabbit Seasoning, and culminating with the zaniest of the three, the immortal Duck! Rabbit! Duck!.

Chuck Jones used to say that Bugs Bunny was who we wanted to be, and that Daffy was who we actually were. The rule of the Bugs Bunny universe always seemed to be that Bugs never wrought any mayhem on anyone who didn't go after him first, but once someone fucked with him, all bets were off. Daffy, on the other hand, once Jones wrested him away from Tex Avery and Bob Clampett, became a narcissistic sociopath. In Ali Baba Bunny, he's overcome with greed: "Consequences, schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich." In Rabbit Seasoning, he switches the "Duck Season" sign to "Rabbit Season" just for fun, even if it endangers the life of a fellow woodland creature.

Now of whom does that remind you?

I have a policy here at B@B, one that's caused me to remove some photographs posted by my colleagues in the last week or so, and that is not to post anything that can in any way be construed as a threat to the life of the current occupant of the White House. I may want him impeached and removed from office, but unlike wingnuts, I don't call for the deaths of people I oppose. I also really would rather not have a visit from the Secret Service, thank you very much. But since the parody cartoon I'm posting below is obviously a parody of an existing work, and since the character pictured is, in fact Daffy Duck, even if Daffy sounds different from what you're used to, I think it passes muster. And if it doesn't? Well, go bother Lower Manhattanite, don't bother me. But as an old Warner Bros. fan, I think this is absolutely brilliant:


Bookmark and Share