"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Here's why I should wait to read the Times till morning
Posted by Jill | 9:48 PM
...because this is the kind of stuff that could give me nightmares.


After the speech, I asked him about the best ways to spread democracy. “We have a variety of tools. Not all of them are hammers. Ronald Reagan deployed more of the array than many,” he said. Reagan used forceful rhetoric, but also small displays of force — shooting down Libyan jets over the Gulf of Sidra — to demonstrate American resolve.

“I don’t think you invade Iraq to bring liberty. You do it to eliminate an unstable regime and because sanctions are breaking down and you get liberty as a byproduct,” he continued. I asked him whether invading Iraq was a good idea, knowing what we know now. He looked at me for a bit and said, “I don’t know.”


The Secretary of Defense doesn't know whether invading Iraq was a good idea, despite the fact that he told Snuffalupagus on Sunday that he would recommend veto of the Webb Amendment if it had passed. Gen. David Petraeus told the Senate Armed Services Committee that he didn't know if Americans were safer as a result of four years of war with a cost of over 3700 lives and tens of thousands of limbs, psyches, and ruined marriages and futures. Nobody knows why we're there, nobody knows if it was a good idea, nobody knows whether it makes us safer. And yet we're supposed to trust these guys in perpetuity that this war is necessary?

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share