"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Why I don't want to live forever
Posted by Jill | 7:09 AM
Matt Groening once penned a Life in Hell strip that involved a father telling his child what happens when you die. The father means to be reassuring, but in the last frame, the kid is lying wide awake and terrified.

That happens to me every now and then, that moment of terror in the night when you realize I AM GOING TO DIE AND NOTHING WILL CHANGE THAT FACT. Now that I'm older, it ironically happens less often. But when it does, it's usually combined with images from the Science Channel about the universe imploding into itself and black holes and other Really Big Things that just make my head explode. Then I have to reduce my focus to my own trivial little existence, lest I go mad.

One of the kindnesses that happens to us as we get older, and as the world goes ever more to shit, is that mortality no longer seems quite as terrible. It's still terrible, but you get the sense that you don't want to be around to see what's coming.

And if this is our future, I don't want to hang around forever:



Labels:

Bookmark and Share