"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Monday, March 19, 2007

Here are the kind of Iranians that will be killed when the Bush Administration bombs Iran
Posted by Jill | 7:39 AM
Via Cernig:

crawled out of the car just as the sun set and walked into the hotel. Members of the Tajik national soccer team milled about the small, two-star hotel lobby; a curious mélange of Tajik, Farsi and Russian filled my ears.

"Passport please," the attendant asked. I fumbled through my money belt but quickly complied.

I looked up, behind the desk stood a clean-shaven young man with slightly receding hair and cheerful, pecan-colored eyes.

"You are American, yes?"

"That I am."

"How awesome!" he exclaimed in almost perfect American English.

"I've never met an American before," he said excitedly and then came out from around the lobby desk, arms outstretched, exclaiming all in one breath, "This is the best day of my life. Can I hug you?"

After two weeks of kind salutations, warm welcomes and polite, almost infectious pride, I still wasn't prepared for an outpouring quite like this.

"Sure, why not," I replied, a tad embarrassed.

"So, now that I've hugged a complete stranger, tell me your name?" I joked, a feeble attempt to get through this awkward moment.

"Amir Isazysadr," he said, stretching out his hand.

"Sean-Paul Kelley," I replied.

We shook hands vigorously. Full of contagious enthusiasm, I liked him instantly.

"Why Meshed? It is a big, dusty, ugly city, filled with too many people."

"Gohar Shad," I told him, as if in a whisper. "If I'm lucky I will see the Gohar Shad."

"The mosque surrounding the Shrine of the Imam Reza is splendid," he said.

"Are you Muslim?" he asked.

"No, I am not."

"That is a pity, my friend, because one pilgrimage to the Shrine of the Imam Reza is equal to 17,000 Mecca pilgrimages, or so say the mullahs."


More here.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share