"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Why do I let them do this to me?
Posted by Jill | 10:28 PM
I hate these guys.

I had gotten myself used to the idea that you just can't lose your #1 starter and your most reliable post-season pitcher and expect to go to the World Series. I wasn't going to watch the game tonight. Really, I wasn't. But José Reyes led off the bottom of the first with a home run, then returned to a dugout that greeted him like a playpen full of Labrador Retriever puppies, and here I am. Now it's the 7th inning, rookie John Maine pitched out of two jams to pitch pitch 5-1/3 gritty, sometimes heart-stopping, shutout innings, Chad Bradford held the shutout for 1-2/3 innings, and now Guillermo Mota is coming in.

Is there any other team in the majors that puts its fans through this? I feel like Charlie Brown getting ready to kick the football. You swear you'll never put up with it again, that this is really the last straw. Then the Mets do the baseball equivalent of showing up with candy and flowers and swearing up and down that this time it'll be different, baby, this time they really mean it, this time they promise they'll get to the Wrold Series. And you take them back every damn time.

Oh, and one more thing: equipment manager Charlie Samuels has the team wearing the 1986 uniforms again. The Mets are 4-0 this year when wearing these uniforms.

I can't stand it.
Bookmark and Share