"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Saturday, September 16, 2006

Saturday night pop culture break
Posted by Jill | 9:49 PM
I'm of the firm belief, as I've posted before, that no matter how cool you think you are, and no matter how up to speed you are on pop culture, if you are over 50, the under-30 set is going to view you as an old fart. I mean, I like John Mayer, so how cool can I possibly be?

I'm not much of a fan of Gnarls Barkley, though that song that was in heavy rotation on WXPK 107.1 FM for a while has been known to stick in my brain. But I'm a sucker for retro-style videos. I may be the only person in the world who actually LIKED Lou Bega's Mambo #5, though it wasn't so much that I liked the song, it was for the cool vintage jazz footage in the video.

I found this new Gnarls Barkley video at Pandagon, and I agree with Amanda: it is deeply amusing. And that Motown bass line filched from old Supremes records is really, really hooky, isn't it? I would also add that it's not easy to cram 80 years of music and popular culture into a 4:13 video. And yes, that is Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell (whose name I always seem to forget, my brain opening the folder marked "Harry Dean Stanton" for at least 30 seconds before I get it right) doing the Ken Burns-style narration:






Bookmark and Share