"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Friday, December 16, 2005

I've been punk'd
Posted by Jill | 7:06 AM

It was tempting to use the same "Mourning Sedition" headline that every other Morning Sedition fan/blogger is using today, but I think it takes a big person to admit you were the perfect foil/schmuck for a comedy scam, and at 4'10" tall, anything that promised being a bigger person is OK by me.

Yesterday I was on my way to the dentist and listening to the penultimate Morning Sedition, when what appeared to be some Air America Danny Goldberg Flack Corporate Stooge Toady came on the air and spouted a bunch of unctuous bullshit about what a great job Marc Maron has done, and how he hoped Marc would continue to contribute to the NEW morning show -- in the timeslot from which he'd just been fired.

Maron went ballistic.

It was awful. Sickening. It was like listening to someone have a nervous breakdown right on the air. And if you know anything about Marc Maron, you know what a roiling mass of just general emotional crap he draws from to do what he does. People like that (Richard Pryor was another one) always skate on the border between genius and insanity.

It seemed real. It wasn't. And now I can't decide whether to laugh or curl up in a fetal position in the corner.

Many years ago I wrote a 'zine article on the death of John Belushi, in which I wrote that great comedy is like a really good sexual one-night stand -- you know it's just a one-night stand, but you still get greedy -- you want more.

That's kind of how I think many of us are feeling about Morning Sedition today. We were given a great gift of incalculable value for the last two years. We always knew that there would come a time when it would stop, but we didn't want to think about it. We had Marc Maron and Morning Sedition now, and that was enough.

Except that it wasn't. Because now we're feeling greedy and want more.

"It's just a damn radio show!" our friends may say, but they just don't get it. It's not just a radio show for many of us. Morning Sedition has allowed us to cope with living in the Bush era, and because the entire crew has made itself so accessible, the Sedition crew and audience are like the kind of big, dysfunctional, extended family that gets together at weddings and says "We have to do this more often."

I really hope that the business about a new show for Marc isn't just Goldberg blowing hot air. Because I've really enjoyed the last two years. I only wish this wasn't the end.
Bookmark and Share