"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Maybe Maureen Dowd is right
Posted by Jill | 11:20 AM

Contrary to what some of my trolls think, I don't hate men. I've always kind of liked men, which is something Mr. Brilliant just can't seem to understand. He thinks the reason men don't respect women is because we put up with them. He could be right, though I happen to be still extremely fond of Mr. Brilliant, even after lo these 23 years (Discordians and Lost fans, take note). And even at my advanced age, I still enjoy looking at a nice-looking, broody, tortured, Mr. Darcy-type on a movie or TV screen.

Mr. Brilliant is dashingly handsome, intelligent, and has a wicked sense of humor. And he knows who the Wooleyburger was, which is what sealed the deal for me back in 1983.

But lately the battle of the sexes has been in the news again, in between the ranting about the liberal war on Christmas, largely because of Maureen Dowd's new book, Are Men Necessary, in which she apparently hashes out the old chestnut that men can't handle strong, successful women; and because of recent stories indicating that Ivy League women are back to wanting their MRS degree.

I'm not going to rant about that now, though I have plenty to say on that front. But you can read an interesting, if ultimately pointless back-and-forth on the subject here.

Maybe it's that I'm not as highly accomplished as Maureen Dowd, or that I never looked to a guy to support me, but her angst has never been an issue for me.

But when I read something as vile and reprehensible as this, I think she may be on to something, though not for the same reasons.

Another Jill at Feministe does a fine job of eviscerating the piece of human excrement that wrote the above.
Bookmark and Share