"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gasoline Alley: Tales from the Front Lines of the New 1970's
Posted by Jill | 10:23 AM

Yesterday I had no trouble putting gas in the Civic at my neighborhood Getty station -- the one owned by the nice man who now services the car, since dealer servicing of two other Civics only yielded me 107,000 miles each, when everyone else I knew was getting 150K out of theirs. No lines, no problem. Price: $2.73/gallon. The kid who pumps gas (we don't have self-serve here in NJ) looked as if he'd been beaten with baseball bats all day, and when I asked him if people had been giving him shit about the price, he nodded.

Think about it. The news has been All Katrina, All the Time, and people are busting a teenaged gas jockey. Fucking idiots.

Today the owner has to raise the price to $3.05 at the behest of his distributor. I shudder to think what's going to happen to him and the kids who work for him in a town where almost everyone has a GMC Yukon or larger.

NJ has no supply problems, largely because we have both ports AND refineries here. But I know both Carolinas are showing shortages already.

Post YOUR gasoline-buying experiences (and the reactions of your gas-guzzler owning neighbors to $3.00 gasoline) in the comments.
Bookmark and Share