"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

"My Doorbell"
Posted by Jill | 9:47 AM

I'm the first one to admit that I'm not much up on what's current in music. The last time I latched on to a "current" band was the Dave Matthews Band, and that's 12 years ago already. The last "newish" CD that came into my possession was Green Day's "American Idiot", thanks to Tami, who doesn't find it all ridiculous that a 50-year-old should like Green Day.

Most of what I listen to these days is blues, old reggae, some old swing, acoustic-era music, and the old warhorses of jamming -- DMB, The Allman Bros. Band, that sort of thing; and early Elvis Costello before he became happy and mellowed out.

But by some miracle, a decent music station that doesn't skew so much towards singer/songwriters (which is my only beef with WFUV, the Fordham University station at 90.7 FM) has popped up in the New York Metro area. I have no idea what the call letters are, but the station is known as "The Peek", it's at 107.1, and operates out of someplace in Westchester. It's such a miracle to have a music station that you can just leave on and be 90% assured that it'll play something you can stand to listen to and NOT have to hear Stairway to Heaven for the four millionth time. Because I don't know about you, but most of what's played on "Classic Rock" radio is stuff I would rather have root canal without anesthesia than listen to again.

But this one song by the White Stripes, "My Doorbell", is in heavy rotation on this station. It sounds amateurish, poorly engineered, and I find it not just catchy as hell, but oddly compelling. Is it just me?
Bookmark and Share