"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, June 05, 2005

And the dog ate my homework
Posted by Jill | 7:03 AM

Late last year, when I was reviewing Million Dollar Baby, I ended up with a PC completely infested with spyware from trying to find an MP3 of George Carlin's old "Heavy Mysteries" bit from Class Clown, in which a kid would come up with the most preposterous scenario imaginable as to why he couldn't receive communion during Easter and then ask, "Would that then be a sin then, fadda?"

I am reminded of this immortal illustration of mental gymnastics every time I have to read something written by a Bush supporter, but I was especially reminded yesterday while reading WaPo's coverage of Qu'ran abuse at Guantanamo Bay:

The most recent, and perhaps strangest, case of mishandling was documented on March 25, 2005, when a detainee complained to the guards that urine came through an air vent in his cell and "splashed on him and his Koran while he laid near the air vent." According to Hood's investigation, the guard who was responsible reported himself to his superiors and was reassigned to gate duty. The detainee was given a new uniform and Koran.

"The guard had left his observation area post and went outside to urinate," according to a summary of the incident. "He urinated near an air vent and the wind blew his urine through the vent into the block."


"...and then the chaplain goes into a coma! But you wanted to receive! Would that then be a sin then, fadda?"
Bookmark and Share