"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Sunday, November 07, 2004

So who was he lying to?
Posted by Jill | 5:19 PM

I hear that the AOL chat rooms are just bursting with people who can't wait to go marching in the streets shooting down liberals and gays, now that their Fearless Leader has essentially told them his mandate gives them carte blanche to take out their own self-loathing on those who don't agree by any means necessary.

I might remind these people, who are busily working themselves into a -- dare I say it -- orgasmic froth about gays, what their King said just last week:

"I don't think we should deny people rights to a civil union, a legal arrangement, if that's what a state chooses to do so....."I view the definition of marriage different from legal arrangements that enable people to have rights. And I strongly believe that marriage ought to be defined as between a union between a man and a woman. Now, having said that, states ought to be able to have the right to pass laws that enable people to be able to have rights like others."


When asked if he believed the Republican platform, which calls for a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage was wrong, Bush replied "Right."

So when was he lying? Was he lying last week, or has he been lying to you all along? Can you trust a man who lies so cravenly about something so many people decided on November 2nd is the most important issue they voted on, outweighing things like, oh, say, their own children's future?

KICKED FOR UPDATE: According to Herr Goebbels, "President Bush will renew a quest in his second term for a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage as essential to a "hopeful and decent" society."

So, I ask you again: Who is Bush lying to? The people he promised a Constitutional amendment to, or Charles Gibson? What does he really believe? Who's pulling the strings here?

As for the notion that banning same-sex marriage will somehow make us hopeful again, well, you're barking up the wrong tree, asshole. The only thing that could make us hopeful again would be for everyone in the Bush Administration, from King George on down through Darth Voldemort, and the neocons who pulled us into this God-forsaken war, and to Herr Goebbels himself, to be led out of the White House in handcuffs.

That and the day that my friends can marry if they want to. Oh and yeah, I'll fill you in on something. I've been married for 18 years. I know three gay couples whose friendship has enriched my life immeasurably. One has already had a commitment ceremony. Another is having a wedding next year. A third has been together for over 25 years, living and working together, something most straight couples can't do. Not one of those couples has made me any less married. And gay couples won't make you any less married either.
Bookmark and Share