"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"
-Oscar Wilde
Brilliant at Breakfast title banner "The liberal soul shall be made fat, and he that watereth, shall be watered also himself."
-- Proverbs 11:25
"...you have a choice: be a fighting liberal or sit quietly. I know what I am, what are you?" -- Steve Gilliard, 1964 - 2007

"For straight up monster-stomping goodness, nothing makes smoke shoot out my ears like Brilliant@Breakfast" -- Tata

"...the best bleacher bum since Pete Axthelm" -- Randy K.

"I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (1954-2015), They Live
Thursday, June 19, 2008

A loss to the B@B community
Posted by Jill | 10:21 PM
Those of you who are newer visitors may not remember Joycelyn Ward, a.k.a. Maya's Granny, who used to comment here quite often. Joycelyn's blog was a welcome respite for me from the constant rage I've felt so often during the last four years that I've been blogging. Whether it was her own recollections of her childhood and her own children, collected for her granddaughter (the eponymous Maya) or verbal snapshots of life in Alaska, visiting Maya's Granny was like a mini-vacation. And yes, there was even a smattering of politics.

I knew she'd been ill for a while, but it nevertheless came as a shock to me to visit her blog today and find that she passed from this God-forsaken level of reality last Sunday.

We've heard so much lately about the use of the internet to spread scurillous lies and rumors about politicians. Yesterday we saw a pompous comment in a blog comment turn into a LOLCats-style snarky phenomenon. But at its best, what the internet does it allow us to make connections with people with whom we share common interests and who provide us with a perspective and a glimpse at their own interesting lives. I'm glad to have been able to make the connection with Maya's Granny, however fleeting. The blogosphere is poorer today for having lost her.

Those of you who are so inclined may wish to make a memorial donation to Heifer International, her favorite charity.
Bookmark and Share
3 Comments:
Blogger Batocchio said...
Condolences.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm so sorry to hear that. She seemed nice.

Blogger Melina said...
I noticed that right before I left town...I had been trying to keep up and had sent her a snail card.
She was so, so sick...and I hope that she is at peace. I'll miss her.
If there is a heaven, smack Timmeuh for me MG!(...tho, I have a suspicion that he might be in that other place...If there is a heaven, I dont know if they let in the criminally complicit.)